Welcome to the Warlock guide for the Destruction spec in Warlords of Draenor
*NOTE* There will still be updates during WoD and i will add video guides together with more detailed playstyle tips and tricks as we go along.
This guide will try cover many different areas to help you improve your play, do note that many things can change and rotations, stat weights, priority lists and all these sort of things can differ a lot. Always read guides with a grain of salt, but use it for what it’s worth.
|Head||Shadow Council´s Hood||Kromog|
|Neck||Gruul´s Lip Ring||Gruul|
|Shoulders||Shadow Council’s Mantle||Operator Thogar|
|Chest||Shadow Council’s Robes||Flamebender Ka’graz|
|Waist||Deckhand’s Rope Belt||Iron Maidens|
|Legs||Turret Mechanic’s Legwraps||Iron Maidens|
|Wrists||Bracers of Spattered Steel||Blast Furnace|
|Gloves||Shadow Council’s Gloves||Iron Maidens|
|Finger||Epicenter Loop||Beastlord Darmac|
|Finger||Spellbound Runic Band of the All-Seeing Eye||Quest item|
|Trinket 1||Goren Soul Repository||Oregorger|
|Trinket 2||Blackiron Micro Crucible||Blackhand|
Done with standard T17 Mythic profile w/ Grimoire of Supremacy, Archimonde´s Darkness & Demonic Servitude
Dark Regeneration – Instant 30% of maximum health for you and your pet plus 25% increased healing taken over 12 seconds. A very good talent for a survival phase with damage taken over a short period of time, but not superior on fights with steady damage taken.
Soul Leech – The passive healing talent for our main attacks.
Searing Flames – Ember Tap causes 50% more healing, and refunds 50% of its Burning Ember cost.
- Dark Regeneration – By far the best talent you can pick, strong healing cooldown and increased healing done to you.
- Soul Lech – Way worse talent in WoD than we know it from MoP.
- Searing Flames – Mainly a PvP talent, not so much use in PvE
Howl of Terror – Aoe fear with no use in PvE
Mortal Coil – Deathcoil with a 11% heal we can use in PvE
Shadowfury – AoE stun without much use in PvE
- Mortal Coil – 11% health for a GCD
- Shadowfury – Small stun, often times other classes bring more reliable and longer lasting stun
- Howl of Terror – Not much use besides PvP
Soul Link – No longer shares health pool with your pet, instead 20% of all damage you take is split to your pet. Additionally, 3% of all damage you deal is converted into healing on you and your pet.
Sacrificial Pact – A very solid absorb shield, which sacrifices 20% of your pets health to give a 400% shield of the sacrificed health. This talent can even be used in certain situations without a pet as you will lose 20% of your health for 400% of the lost health turning into a shield.
Dark Bargain – Absorbs all damage for 8 seconds and when the shield fades you take 50% of the damage over 8 seconds. Risky if you take a lot of damage and suddenly will get bursted down when the absorb fades.
- Soul Link – Passive 20% damage reduction is really good, espeically if we also use the Unending Glyph for 10% more
- Dark Bargain – Very good “oh shit” talent, that can save us in a lot of dire situations and works well with soaking
- Sacrificial Pact – This talent can be very good to take with high pulsing AoE’s at certain times in a fight, the shields are very big
*Soul Link still increases your health pool if you don’t have a pet and use Grimoire of Sacrifice, but most of the time you would want to run with another talent then depending on the fight.
Blood Horror – When activiated any time a enemy melee attacks you and deals damage, the enemy will run in horror for up to 4 seconds
Burning Rush – 4% of maximum health per second for 50% movement speed.
Unbound Will – Removes all magic and impairing effects
- Burning Rush – Useful speed boost in many situations, you can nearly always find a use for it
- Unbound Will – Very cool self dispell, but only has its place on a few fights
- Blood Horror – Purely PvP talent, not much use in Pve
Grimoire of Supremacy – 20% more damage from our pets and they turn into different versions of themselves
Grimoire of Service – Summons another pet of your choice for 20 seconds
Grimoire of Sacrifice – Sacrifices our pet to increase our single target damaging spells (Incinerate, Chaos Bolt, Shadowburn, doesn´t affect Fire and Brimstone)
- Grimoire of Service – Slightly above the other talents, you use Service together with Demonic Servitude and summon a Doomguard every 2 minute for 20 seconds.
- Grimoire of Supremacy – Supremacy together with Demonic Servitude is a very strong combination with your permanently Terrorguard.
- Grimoire of Sacrifice – Not quite as strong as the others, also looses out fast on movement fights as pets are 25%~ of your damage with the other specs, thus movement hurts Sacrifice a lot.
Archimonde’s Darkness – Your Dark Soul has two charges
Kil’jaeden’s Cunning – You can cast while moving
Mannoroth’s Fury – Increases AoE by 500% and the damage from Hellfire by 100%. 60 sec CD, 10 sec duration.
- Archimonde’s Darkness – Basically the talent you pick when there is no heavy movement involved, it gives us a better management of when we want to use Dark Soul.
- Kil’jaeden’s Cunning – We don’t have much use for KJC on most fights, i would only recommend to play with this for heavy movement fights such as Imperator Margok and similiar. If you feel uncomfortable with position placement and movement fights, this will always beat the other talents though.
- Mannoroth’s Fury – Very bad for talent after the Rain of Fire nerf, more or less useless.
Charred Remains – Your Incinerate and Conflagrate deals 60% less damage but generate 200% more Burning Ember and Fire and Brimstone can now affect Chaos Bolt.
Cataclysm – An AoE ground attack that applies Immolate to all targets it hits
Demonic Servitude – Makes you able to permanently control a Doomguard or Infernal
- Demonic Servitude – Makes our Doomguard permanently, strongest talent right now for single target Destruction
- Charred Remains – A talent that makes all our damage based around Chaos Bolt and Shadowburn, has potential but not good compared to Servitude.
- Cataclysm – Very good talent for burst AoE and good for single target short fights because you are able to use your 10 min Doomguard CD, unlike Servitude where it´s permanently. (Sub 3-4 minute fights)
There is no DPS increasing glyphs as Destruction, therefore we can pretty much choose whatever utillity glyphs we want.
Glyph of Eternal Resolve – If no major cooldown is needed, 10% passive reduction is really nice together with 20% from Soul Link.
Glyph of Siphon Life – Passive healing with not many alternatives to pick
Stats are a very touchy subject, so to determine what stats we want we need to know what they actually do and bring.
Critical strike is our ember regeneration stat, every crititcal strike regenerates extra embers and it also scales up Chaos Bolt damage slightly. A strong single target stat for Destruction because we rely heavily on ember consuming spells. Critical strike stat also gains additional % bonus when we are Destruction through Devastation.
Mastery increases the damage done by: Immolate, Incinerate and Conflagrate and increase effectiveness of Burning Ember consuming spells like Shadowburn and Chaos Bolt. It’s a pure raw damage increasing stat for Destruction which scales really well on multi target and AoE fights.
Haste is the stat that gives us faster casts and also increases pet energy regeneration. Haste is an okay stat together with Grimoire of Supremacy / Demonic Servitude (any pet talents) but looses it’s value for Destruction as soon as we go for Grimoire of Sacrifice.
Multistrike is our new stat in WoD and it gives a % chance to deliver 30% extra attacks of a spell. Doesn´t scale as well with pets specs and talents.
Versatility is also a new WoD stat and it increases the damage done by a %. The value of the stat is rather low, so we don´t really want to go towards Versatility.
Single target (based off BiS gear list):
Int >> Critical Strike > Mastery ~= Multistrike ~= Haste ~= Versatility
– I would aim for items with Critical Strike / Mastery on them as priority
My own character yielded following priority at 685~ item level
Int >> Critical Strike > Haste ~= Multistrike ~= Mastery ~= Versatility
Simply just to point out, that after your first stat, there really isn´t much difference and with no reforging and limited gear options you really only care about your strongest stat (for gemming as well). Remember this is purely single target, so stats like Mastery scales up well on AoE against the others.
Single target stat weights
If you want to find your stat weights and specific values for purely single target fights (not reflected so much in Highmaul and Blackrock Foundry fights) you can use Simulationcraft to determine how to gem and gear. Remember that it doesn’t apply on AoE, multi or single target fights with burst mechanics.
Gems are helping us boost stats we choose, that also means that there is no determined gemming. If we want more of a stat for certain fights, gems are where we can find those stats. So obviously always pick the stat you prioritize on your gear
|Critical Strike||Greater Critical Strike Taladite|
|Mastery||Greater Mastery Taladite|
|Haste||Greater Haste Taladite|
|Multistrike||Greater Multistrike Taladite|
|Versatility||Greater Versatility Taladite|
Professions doesn´t give you any DPS increase anymore in Warlords of Draenor, therefore you can pick whatever professions you want
|Flask||Greater Draenic Intellect Flask|
|Potion||Draenic Intellect Potion|
|Rune||Focus Augment Rune|
Here is a list of the key damage spells for Destruction, next section contains more detailed use of them.
DPS rotation spells
Ember consuming spells
AoE/Multi target abilities
(*) When to Chaos Bolt
Procs to look out for
– Intellect procs from trinkets
– Ring proc (10% intellect)
– Weapon Enchant
You always want to try to line up CB’s with as many of the posted buffs, but else you prioritize them in the order listed above. Don’t ever cap on embers, rather cast a chaosbolt with minor procs and smoothen them out than ending up sitting on 4 embers.
(**) How to deal with Backdraft from Conflagrate
If you have a lot of haste, example during Blood Lust, it doesn’t matter much what you use backdraft on and generally if you have intellect procs from trinket, dark soul and everything aligning, don’t be scared to use 3 backdraft procs on a Chaos Bolt. Chaos Bolt always has priority over anything when everything aligns.
Generally just try to make sure you keep conflagrate on cooldown and use the Backlash procs on Incinerates
AoE rotation priority (+5 enemies)
* Rain of Fire on AoE
Rain of Fire no longer generates embers and are therefore hardly worth it, but at the start of 5 targets you should start to use it.
Multi target (2-5 targets)
Else, do your normal single target rotation
Best races for Destruction Warlock
|Alliance:||Dwarf||Might of the Mountain|
Differences are minimal and doesn´t really matter unless you min max to the fullest
Link to original page: http://sparkuggz.com/wod-destruction-guide/